• Lignocaine/lidocaine is indicated for refractory VF/VT when the first three defibrillator shocks have failed to produce a return of spontaneous circulation and when amiodarone is unavailable.
• It acts by suppressing the excitability of ventricular cells.
• The initial dose in VF is 100 mg and in haemodynamically stable VT, 50 mg should be administered intravenously.
• An infusion may be necessary according to local protocols.
• Side-effects are drowsiness, confusion and convulsions.
Was this article helpful?