dlverticulosis Definition and Pathology (Lancet 200*363:631)
• Acquired herniations of colonic mucosa and submucosa through the colonic wall
• More common on the left side (90%. mosdy sigmoid) than the right side of the colon
• May be a consequence of a low-fiber diet • colonic musculature contracting against small, hard stools — t intraluminal pressure — herniation of mucosa + submucosa
• Affects 20-50% of persons over the age of 50; most prevalent in "Westernized" societies Clinical manifestations
• Usually asx. but can be complicated by diverticulitis or diverticular hemorrhage
Was this article helpful?