Pancytopenia (see below) Anemias of chronic disorders
• Anemia of chronic inflammation (see above)
• Renal failure: I epo: may see burr cells; treat w epo (see "Chronic Kidney Disease")
• Endocrine deficiencies: hypometabolism and i Oj demand with thyroid, pituitary, adrenal.
or parathyroid disease — i epo; can be normocytic or macrocytic Sideroblastic anemia (see above) Pure red cell aplasia
• Destructive antibodies or lymphocytes — ineffective erythropoiesis
• Associated with thymoma. CLL, and parvovirus infection
• Diagnostic studies: lack of erythroid precursors on BM bx. other lines normal
• Treatment: thymectomy if thymus enlarged; IVIg if parvovirus infection;
immunosuppression if CLL or idiopathic; supportive care with PRBC transfusions
Was this article helpful?