1. Risperidone has an atypical side-effect profile with minimal extrapyramidal symptoms at lower doses (up to 4-6 mg).
2. At doses above 6 mg per day, the incidence of EPS increases significantly.
3. The effective dosage range is 2-8 mg/day.
4. Fatigue and sedation are the most common side effects followed by weight gain and orthostatic hypotension.
5. Risperidone can elevate prolactin leading to gynecomastia, galactorrhea and disruption of the menstrual cycle. Agranulocytosis has not been reported. The incidence of tardive dyskinesia is low.
Was this article helpful?