A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy and hypersensitivity, beginning by early adulthood, and indicated by at least four of the following:
1. The patient avoids occupational activities with significant interpersonal contact due to fear of criticism, disapproval or rejection.
2. Unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked.
3. Restrained in intimate relationships due to fear of being shamed or ridiculed.
4. Preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations.
5. Inhibited in new interpersonal situations due to feelings of inadequacy.
6. The patient views himself as socially inept, unappealing or inferior to others.
7. Unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in new activities because they may be embarrassing.
Was this article helpful?
You can find out step by step what you need to do to overcome the feeling of being shy. There are a vast number of ways that you can stop feeling shy all of the time and start enjoying your life. You can take these options one step at a time so that you gradually stop feeling shy and start feeling more confident in yourself, enjoying every aspect of your life. You can learn how to not be shy and start to become much more confident and outgoing with this book.