- can be expressed by the following equation:
„ ,. , Mean arterial pressure — Right atrial pressure
Total peripheral resistance (TPR)
Q = flow or cardiac output (ml/min) AP = pressure gradient (mm Hg) R = resistance or total peripheral resistance (mm Hg/ml/min)
- The equation for blood flow (or cardiac output) is analogous to Ohm's law for electrical circuits (I = V/R), where flow is analogous to current and pressure is analogous to voltage.
- The pressure gradient (AP) drives blood flow.
- Thus, blood flows from high pressure to low pressure.
- Blood flow is inversely proportional to the resistance of the blood vessels.
Was this article helpful?