1. G Taubes. The soft science of dietary fat. Science 291:2536-2545, 2001.
2. G Robbelen, RK Downey, A Ashri. Oil Crops of the World. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1989, pp 1-21.
3. WS Singleton. Properties of the liquid state. In: KS Markley, ed. Fatty Acids. Part 1. 2nd ed. Malabar: Robert E Krieger, 1983, pp 499-607.
4. FD Gunstone, JL Harwood, FB Padley. The Lipid Handbook. 2nd ed. London: Chapman & Hall, 1995, pp 47-146.
5. T Voelker, AJ Kinney. Variations in the biosynthesis of seed-storage lipids. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Mol Biol 52:335-361, 2001.
6. MR Pollard, L Anderson, C Fan, DJ Hawkins, HM Davies. A specific acyl-ACP thioesterase implicated in medium chain fatty acid production in immature cotyledons of Umbellularia californica. Arch Biochem Biophys 284:306-312, 1991.
7. TA Voelker, AC Worrell, L Anderon, J Bleibaum, C Fan, DJ Hawkins, SF Radke, HM Davies. Fatty acid biosynthesis redirected to medium chains in transgenic oilseed plants. Science 257:72-74, 1992.
8. A Jones, HM Davies, TA Voelker. Palmitoyl-acyl carrier protein (ACP) thioesterase and the evolutionary origin of plant acyl-ACP thioesterases. Plant Cell 7:359-371, 1995.
9. K Dehesh, A Jones, DS Knutzon, TA Voelker. Production of high levels of 8:0 and 10:0 fatty acids in transgenic canola by over-expression of Ch FatB, a thioesterase cDNA from Cuphea hookeriana. Plant J 9:167-172, 1996.
10. MB Slabaugh, JM Leonard, SJ Knapp. Condensing enzymes from Cuphea wrightii associated with medium chain fatty acid biosynthesis. Plant J 13:611620, 1998.
11. K Dehesh, P Edwards, J Fillati, MB Slabaugh, J Byrne. KAS IV: a 3-ketoacyl-ACP synthase from Cuphea sp. is a medium chain specific condensing enzyme. Plant J 15:383-390, 1998.
12. JM Leonard, SJ Knapp, MB Slabaugh. A Cuphea B-ketoacyl-ACP synthase shifts the synthesis of fatty acids towards shorter chains in Arabidopsis seeds expressing Cuphea FatB thioesterases. Plant J 13:621-628, 1998.
13. J Okuley, J Lightener, K Feldman, N Yadav, E Lark, J Browse. Arabidopsis FAD2 gene encodes a protein that is essential for polyunsaturated lipid biosynthesis. Plant Cell 6:147-158, 1994.
14. V Hongtrahul, MB Slabaugh, SJ Knapp. A seed specific delta-12 oleate desaturase gene is duplicated, rearranged, and weakly expressed in high oleic acid sunflower lines. Crop Sci 38:1245-1249, 1998.
15. AJ Kinney. Plants as industrial chemical factories—new oils from genetically engineered soybeans. Fett/Lipid 100:173-176, 1998.
16. WR Fehr, GA Welke, EG Hammond, DN Duvick, SR Cianzio. Inheritance of reduced palmitic acid content in seed oil of soybean. Crop Sci 31:88-89, 1991.
17. DM Bubeck, WR Fehr, EG Hammond. Inheritance of palmitic and stearic acid mutants of soybean. Crop Sci 29:652-656.
18. DS Knutzon, GA Thompson, SE Radke, WB Johnson, VC Knauf, JC Kridl. Modification of Brassica seed oil by antisense expression of a stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:2624-2628, 1992.
19. S Cantisan, E Martinez-Force, A Alvarez-Ortega, R Garces. Lipid characterization in vegetative tissues of high saturated fatty acid sunflower mutants. J Agric Food Chem 47:78-82, 1999.
20. DJ Hawkins, JC Kridl. Characterization of acyl-ACP thioesterases of mango-
steen (Garcinia mangostana) seed and high levels of stearate production in transgenic canola. Plant J 13:743-752, 1998.
21. AJ Kinney. Genetic modification of the storage lipids of plants. Curr Opin Biotechnol 5:144-151, 1994.
22. EB Cahoon, JB Ohlrogge. Metabolic evidence for the involvement of a delta-4 palmitoyl-ACP desaturase in petroselenic acid synthesis in coriander endosperm and transgenic tobacco cells. Plant Physiol 104:827-837, 1994.
23. J Shanklin, EB Cahoon. Desaturation and related modifications of fatty acids. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Mol Biol 49:611-641, 1998.
24. EB Cahoon, AM Cranmer, J Shanklin, JB Ohlrogge. A-6 hexadecenoic acid is synthesized by the activity of a soluble A-6 palmitoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase in Thunbergia alata endosperm. J Biol Chem 269:27519-27526, 1994.
25. EB Cahoon, S Coughlan, J Shanklin. Characterization of a structurally and functionally diverged ACP desaturase from milkweed seed. Plant Mol Biol 33: 1105-1110, 1997.
26. EB Cahoon, Y Lindqvist, G Schneider, J Shanklin. Redesign of soluble fatty acid desaturases from plants for altered substrate specificity and double bond position. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:4872-4877, 1997.
27. EB Cahoon, J Shanklin, JB Ohlrogge. Expression of a coriander desaturase results in petroselenic acid production in transgenic tobacco. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:11184-11188, 1992.
28. MC Suh, DJ Schultz, JB Ohlrogge. Isoforms of acyl carrier protein involved in seed-specific fatty acid biosynthesis. Plant J 17:679-688, 1999.
29. DJ Schulz, MC Suh, JB Ohlrogge. Stearoyl-acyl carrier protein and unusual acyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase activities are differentially influenced by ferredoxin. Plant Physiol 124:681-692, 2000.
30. JL Harwood. Recent advances in the biosynthesis of plant fatty acids. Biochim Biophys Acta 130:7-56, 1996.
31. D Post-Beitenmiller. Biochemistry and molecular biology of wax production in plants. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Mol Biol 47:405-430, 1996.
32. JB Ohlrogge, MR Pollard, PK Stumpf. Studies on the biosynthesis of waxes by developing jojoba seed tissue. Lipids 13:203-210, 1977.
33. MR Pollard, T McKeon, LM Gupta, PK Sumpf. Studies on biosynthesis of waxes by developing jojoba seed. II. The demonstration of wax biosynthesis by cell free homogenates. Lipids 14:651-662, 1979.
34. MW Lassner, K Lardizabal, JG Metz. A jojoba B-ketoacyl-CoA synthase cDNA complements the canola fatty acid elongation mutation in transgenic plants. Plant Cell 8:281-292, 1996.
35. JG Metz, MR Pollard, L Anderson, TR Hayes, MW Lassner. Purification of a jojoba embryo fatty acyl-coenzyme A reductase and expression of its cDNA in high erucic acid rapeseed. Plant Physiol 122:635-644, 2000.
36. KD Lardizabal, JG Metz, T Sakamoto, WC Hutton, MR Pollard, MW Lassner. Purification of a jojoba embryo wax synthase, cloning of its cDNA, and production of high levels of wax in seeds of transgenic Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 122:645-655, 2000.
37. DW James, E Lime, J Keller, I Ploy, E Ralson, HK Dooner. Directed tagging of the Arabidopsis FAE1 gene with the maize transposon activator. Plant Cell 7:309-319, 1995.
38. AA Millar, L Kunst. VLCFA biosynthesis is controlled through the expression and specificity of the condensing enzyme. Plant J 12:121-131, 1997.
39. EB Cahoon, EF Manila, KL Stecca, SE Hall, DT Taylor, AJ Kinney. Production of fatty acid components of meadowfoam oil in somatic soybean embryos. Plant Physiol 124:243-251, 2000.
40. M McConn, J Browse. Polyunsaturated membranes are required for photosyn-thetic competence in a mutant of Arabidopsis. Plant J 15:521-530, 1998.
41. M McConn, RA Creelman, E Bell, JE Mullet, J Browse. Jasmonate is essential for insect resistance in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:5473-5377,
Was this article helpful?