1. JD Hamill, AJ Lidgett. Hairy root cultures—opportunities and key protocols for studies in metabolic engineering. In: PM Doran, ed. Hairy Roots: Culture and Applications. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic, 1997, pp 1-29.
2. D Tepfer. Genetic transformation using Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Physiol Plant 79:140-146, 1990.
3. J Mugnier. Establishment of new axenic hairy root lines by inoculation with Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Plant Cell Rep 7:9-12, 1988.
4. B Canto-Canché, VM Loyola-Vargas. Chemicals from roots, hairy roots, and their application. In: F Shahidi, P Kolodziejczyk, JR Whitaker, A Lopez Mun-guia, G Fuller, eds. Chemicals via Higher Plant Bioengineering. Adv Exp Med Biol, vol 464. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum, 1999, pp 235-275.
5. A Giri, ML Narasu. Transgenic hairy roots: recent trends and applications. Biotechnol Adv 18:1-22, 2000.
6. PM Doran, ed. Hairy Roots: Culture and Applications. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic, 1997.
7. JV Shanks, J Morgan. Plant 'hairy root' culture. Curr Opin Biotechnol 10:151155, 1999.
8. WR Curtis. Hairy roots, bioreactor growth. In: RE Spier, ed. Encyclopedia of Cell Technology, vol 2. New York: Wiley, 2000, pp 827-841.
9. ELH Aird, JD Hamill, MJC Rhodes. Cytogenetic analysis of hairy root cultures from a number of plant species transformed by Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 15:47-57, 1988.
10. HE Flores. Use of plant cells and organ culture in the production of biological chemicals. In: HM LeBaron, RO Mumma, RC Honeycutt, JH Duesing, eds. Biotechnology in Agricultural Chemistry. ACS Symp Ser 334. Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 1987, pp 66-86.
11. IE Maldonado-Mendoza, T Ayora-Talavera, VM Loyola-Vargas. Establishment of hairy root cultures of Datura stramonium. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 33: 321-329, 1993.
12. KH Lipp Joao, TA Brown. Long-term stability of root cultures of tomato transformed with Agrobacterium rhizogenes R1601. J Exp Bot 45:641-647, 1994.
13. R Ciau-Uitz, ML Miranda-Ham, J Coello-Coello, B Chi, LM Pacheco, VM Loyola-Vargas. Indole alkaloid production by transformed and non-transformed root cultures of Catharanthus roseus. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Plant 30P:84-88, 1994.
14. PJ Larkin, WR Scowcroft. Somaclonal variation—a novel source of variability from cell cultures for plant improvement. Theor Appl Genet 60:197-214, 1981.
15. CH Hánisch ten Cate, K Sree Ramulu, P Dijkhuis, B de Groot. Genetic stability of cultured hairy roots induced by Agrobacterium rhizogenes on tuber discs of potato cv. Bintje. Plant Sci 49:217-222, 1987.
16. S Banerjee-Chattopadhyay, AM Schwemmin, DJ Schwemmin. A study of karyotypes and their alterations in cultured and Agrobacterium transformed roots of Lycopersicon peruvianum Mill. Theor Appl Genet 71:258-262, 1985.
17. G Ramsay, A Kumar. Transformation of Vicia faba cotyledon and stem tissues by Agrobacterium rhizogenes: infectivity and cytological studies. J Exp Bot 41:841-847, 1990.
18. ZQ Xu, JF Jia. The reduction of chromosome number and the loss of regeneration ability during subculture of hairy root cultures of Onobrychis viciaefolia transformed by Agrobacterium rhizogenes A4. Plant Sci 120:107-112, 1996.
19. ELH Aird, JD Hamill, RJ Robins, MJC Rhodes. Chromosome stability in transformed hairy root cultures and the properties of variant lines of Nicotiana rustica hairy roots. In: RJ Robins, MJC Rhodes, eds. Manipulating Secondary Metabolism in Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988, pp 137-144.
20. TM Ermayanti, JA McComb, PA O'Brien. Cytological analysis of seedling roots, transformed root cultures and roots regenerated from callus of Swainsona galegifolia (Andr.) R. Br. J Exp Bot 44:375-380, 1993.
21. MJC Rhodes, AJ Parr, A Giulietti, ELH Aird. Influence of exogenous hormones on the growth and secondary metabolite formation in transformed root cultures. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 38:143-151, 1994.
22. M Sauerwein, M Wink, K Shimomura. Influence of light and phytohormones on alkaloid production in transformed root cultures of Hyoscyamus albus. J Plant Physiol 140:147-152, 1992.
23. T Yoshikawa. Production of ginsenosides in ginseng hairy root cultures. In: PM Doran, ed. Hairy Roots: Culture and Applications. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic, 1997, pp 73-79.
24. L Vanhala, M Eeva, S Lapinjoki, R Hiltunen, K-M Oksman-Caldentey. Effect of growth regulators on transformed root cultures of Hyoscyamus muticus. J Plant Physiol 153:475-481, 1998.
25. H Ohkawa, H Kamada, H Sudo, H Harada. Effects of gibberellic acid on hairy root growth in Datura innoxia. J Plant Physiol 134:633-636, 1989.
26. MA Subroto, PM Doran. Production of steroidal alkaloids by hairy roots of Solarium aviculare and the effect of gibberellic acid. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 38:93-102, 1994.
27. NB Paniego, AM Giulietti. Artemisinin production by Artemisia annua L. transformed organ cultures. Enzyme Microb Technol 18:526-530, 1996.
28. TC Smith, PJ Weathers, RD Cheetham. Effects of gibberellic acid on hairy root cultures of Artemisia annua: growth and artemisinin production. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol 33:75-79, 1997.
29. L Toivonen, J Balsevich, WGW Kurz. Indole alkaloid production by hairy root cultures of Catharanthus roseus. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 18:79-93, 1989.
30. E De Vries-Uijtewaal, LJW Gilissen, E Flipse, K Sree Ramulu, B de Groot. Characterization of root clones obtained after transformation of monohaploid and diploid potato genotypes with hairy root inducing strains of Agrobacterium. Plant Sci 58:193-202, 1988.
31. K Jouhikainen, L Lindgren, T Jokelainen, R Hiltunen, TH Teeri, K-M Oksman-Caldentey. Enhancement of scopolamine production in Hyoscyamus muticus L. hairy root cultures by genetic engineering. Planta 208:545-551, 1999.
32. PM Santos, AC Figueiredo, MM Oliveira, JG Barroso, LG Pedro, SG Deans, AKM Younus, JJC Scheffer. Morphological stability of Pimpinella anisum hairy root cultures and time-course study of their essential oils. Biotechnol Lett 21:859-864, 1999.
33. SE Stachel, E Messens, M Van Montagu, P Zambryski. Identification of the signal molecules produced by wounded plant cells that activate T-DNA transfer in Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Nature 318:624-629, 1985.
34. L Vanhala, R Hiltunen, K-M Oksman-Caldentey. Virulence of different Agro-bacterium strains on hairy root formation of Hyoscyamus muticus. Plant Cell Rep 14:236-240, 1995.
35. G Falasca, M Reverberi, P Lauri, E Caboni, A de Stradis, MM Altamura. How Agrobacterium rhizogenes triggers de novo root formation in a recalcitrant woody plant: an integrated histological, ultrastructural and molecular analysis. New Phytol 145:77-93, 2000.
36. A Dobigny, A Ambroise, R Haicour, C David, L Rossignol, D Sihachakr. Transformation of potato using mannopine and cucumopine strains of Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 40:225-230, 1995.
37. Z-Q Xu, J-F Jia, Z-D Hu. Enhancement by osmotic treatment of hairy root transformation of alfalfa suspension cultures, and chromosomal variation in the transformed tissues. Aust J Plant Physiol 24:345-351, 1997.
38. A Oostdam, JNM Mol, LHW van der Plas. Establishment of hairy root cultures of Linum flavum producing the lignan 5-methoxypodophyllotoxin. Plant Cell Rep 12:474-477, 1993.
39. M Zehra, S Banerjee, S Sharma, S Kumar. Influence of Agrobacterium rhizogenes strains on biomass and alkaloid productivity in hairy root lines of Hyoscyamus muticus and H. albus. Planta Med 65:60-63, 1999.
40. Y Mano, H Ohkawa, Y Yamada. Production of tropane alkaloids by hairy root cultures of Duboisia leichhardtii transformed by Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Plant Sci 59:191-201, 1989.
41. J Amselem, M Tepfer. Molecular basis for novel root phenotypes induced by Agrobacterium rhizogenes A4 on cucumber. Plant Mol Biol 19:421-432, 1992.
42. N Sevon, R Hiltunen, K-M Oksman-Caldentey. Somaclonal variation in transformed roots and protoplast-derived hairy root clones of Hyoscyamus muticus. Planta Med 64:37-41, 1998.
43. M Jaziri, J Homes, K Shimomura. An unusual root tip formation in hairy root culture of Hyoscyamus muticus. Plant Cell Rep 13:349-352, 1994.
44. T Aoki, H Matsumoto, Y Asako, Y Matsunaga, K Shimomura. Variation of alkaloid productivity among several clones of hairy roots and regenerated plants of Atropa belladonna transformed with Agrobacterium rhizogenes 15834. Plant Cell Rep 16:282-286, 1997.
45. R Bhadra, S Vani, JV Shanks. Production of indole alkaloids by selected hairy root lines of Catharanthus roseus. Biotechnol Bioeng 41:581-592, 1993.
46. J Palazon, RM Cusido, J Gonzalo, M Bonfill, C Morales, MT Pinol. Relation between the amount of rolC gene product and indole alkaloid accumulation in Catharanthus roseus transformed root cultures. J Plant Physiol 153:712-718, 1998.
47. MA Subroto, KH Kwok, JD Hamill, PM Doran. Coculture of genetically transformed roots and shoots for synthesis, translocation, and biotransformation of secondary metabolites. Biotechnol Bioeng 49:481-494, 1996.
48. MGP Mahagamasekera, PM Doran. Intergeneric co-culture of genetically transformed organs for the production of scopolamine. Phytochemistry 47:17-25, 1998.
49. MA Subroto, MGP Mahagamasekera, KH Kwok, JD Hamill, PM Doran. Co-culture of hairy roots and shooty teratomas. In: PM Doran, ed. Hairy Roots: Culture and Applications. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic, 1997, pp 81-88.
50. T Hashimoto, D-J Yun, Y Yamada. Production of tropane alkaloids in genetically engineered root cultures. Phytochemistry 32:713-718, 1993.
51. JW Larrick, L Yu, J Chen, S Jaiswal, K Wycoff. Production of antibodies in transgenic plants. Res Immunol 149:603-608, 1998.
52. R Fischer, Y-C Liao, K Hoffmann, S Schillberg, N Emans. Molecular farming of recombinant antibodies in plants. Biol Chem 380:825-839, 1999.
53. CL Cramer, JG Boothe, KK Oishi. Transgenic plants for therapeutic proteins: linking upstream and downstream strategies. In: J Hammond, P McGarvey, V Yusibov, eds. Plant Biotechnology: New Products and Applications. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp 95-118.
54. DA Russell. Feasibility of antibody production in plants for human therapeutic use. In: J Hammond, P McGarvey, V Yusibov, eds. Plant Biotechnology: New Products and Applications. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp 119-138.
55. EE Hood, JM Jilka. Plant-based production of xenogenic proteins. Curr Opin Biotechnol 10:382-386, 1999.
56. JK-C Ma, ND Vine. Plant expression systems for the production of vaccines. In: J-P Kraehenbuhl, MR Neutra, eds. Defense of Mucosal Surfaces: Pathogenesis, Immunity and Vaccines. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp 275-292.
57. EE Hood, DR Witcher, S Maddock, T Meyer, C Baszczynski, M Bailey, P Flynn, J Register, L Marshall, D Bond, E Kulisek, A Kusnadi, R Evangelista, Z Nikolov, C Wooge, RJ Mehigh, R Hernan, WK Kappel, D Ritland, CP Li, JA Howard. Commercial production of avidin from transgenic maize: characterization of transformant, production, processing, extraction and purification. Mol Breed 3:291-306, 1997.
58. DR Witcher, EE Hood, D Peterson, M Bailey, D Bond, A Kusnadi, R Evangelista, Z Nikolov, C Wooge, R Mehigh, W Kappel, J Register, JA Howard. Commercial production of /3-glucuronidase (GUS): a model system for the production of proteins in plants. Mol Breed 4:301-312, 1998.
59. G-Y Zhong, D Peterson, DE Delaney, M Bailey, DR Witcher, JC Register, D Bond, C-P Li, L Marshall, E Kulisek, D Ritland, T Meyer, EE Hood, JA Howard. Commercial production of aprotinin in transgenic maize seeds. Mol Breed 5:345-356, 1999.
60. PM Doran. Foreign protein production in plant tissue cultures. Curr Opin Biotechnol 11:199-204, 2000.
61. CD Merritt, S Raina, N Fedoroff, WR Curtis. Direct Agrobacterium tumefa-cif/i.v-mediated transformation of Hyoscyamus muticus hairy roots using green fluorescent protein. Biotechnol Prog 15:278-282, 1999.
62. R Wongsamuth, PM Doran. Production of monoclonal antibodies by tobacco hairy roots. Biotechnol Bioeng 54:401-415, 1997.
63. R Wongsamuth, PM Doran. Hairy roots as an expression system for production of antibodies. In: PM Doran, ed. Hairy Roots: Culture and Applications. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic, 1997, pp 89-97.
64. JM Sharp, PM Doran. Effect of bacitracin on growth and monoclonal antibody production by tobacco hairy roots and cell suspensions. Biotechnol Bioprocess Eng 4:253-258, 1999.
65. W LaCount, G An, JM Lee. The effect of polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) on the heavy chain monoclonal antibody production from plant suspension cultures. Biotechnol Lett 19:93-96, 1997.
66. DE Cooke, KJ Webb. Stability of CaMV 35S-gus gene expression in (bird's foot trefoil) hairy root cultures under different growth conditions. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 47:163-168, 1997.
67. TV Nedelkoska, PM Doran. Hyperaccumulation of cadmium by hairy roots of Thlaspi caerulescens. Biotechnol Bioeng 67:607-615, 2000.
68. JB Hughes, J Shanks, M Vanderford, J Lauritzen, R Bhadra. Transformation of TNT by aquatic plants and plant tissue cultures. Environ Sci Technol 31: 266-271, 1997.
69. M Mackova, T Macek, J Ocenaskova, J Burkhard, K Demnerova, J Pazlarova. Biodégradation of polychlorinated biphenyls by plant cells. Int Biodeterior Biodegrad 39:317-325, 1997.
70. M Pletsch, BS de Araujo, BV Charlwood. Novel biotechnological approaches in environmental remediation research. Biotechnol Adv 17:679-687, 1999.
71. L Metzger, I Fouchault, C Glad, R Prost, D Tepfer. Estimation of cadmium availability using transformed roots. Plant Soil 143:249-257, 1992.
72. T Macek, P Kotrba, M Suchova, F Skacel, K Demnerova, T Ruml. Accumulation of cadmium by hairy-root cultures of Solanum nigrum. Biotechnol Lett 16:621-624, 1994.
73. T Maitani, H Kubota, K Sato, M Takeda, K Yoshihira. Induction of phytoche-latin (class III metallothionein) and incorporation of copper in transformed hairy roots of Rubia tinctorum exposed to cadmium. J Plant Physiol 147:743748, 1996.
74. L Sanità di Toppi, M Lambardi, N Pecchioni, L Pazzagli, M Durante, R Gab-brielli. Effects of cadmium stress on hairy roots of Daucus carota. J Plant Physiol 154:385-391, 1999.
75. RR Brooks, MF Chambers, LJ Nicks, BH Robinson. Phytomining. Trends Plant Sci 3:359-362, 1998.
76. TV Nedelkoska, PM Doran. Characteristics of heavy metal uptake by plant species with potential for phytoremediation and phytomining. Minerals Eng 13:549-561, 2000.
77. TV Nedelkoska, PM Doran. Hyperaccumulation of nickel by hairy roots of Alyssum species: comparison with whole regenerated plants. Biotechnol Prog 17:752-759, 2001.
78. K Kanokwaree, PM Doran. The extent to which external oxygen transfer limits growth in shake flask culture of hairy roots. Biotechnol Bioeng 55:520-526, 1997.
79. T Shiao, PM Doran. Root hairiness: effect on fluid flow and oxygen transfer in hairy root cultures. J Biotechnol 83:199-210, 2000.
Was this article helpful?
This powerful tool will provide you with everything you need to know to be a success and achieve your goal of breaking into the mighty wellness arena. All the same the issue with getting hold of all that content is the huge expense. If you don't have time to compose all that content yourself, you're going to have to pay somebody to do it for you. And not only that, but if you've done outsourcing before, then you'll know that quality may often be 'questionable'.